I will close this site on 31 JAN 2012 because the members of MLRC are not getting the attention from me which they deserve, and that is unacceptable.
I started MLRC with three goals:
1. To Learn how to operate the “Group” function on my MOCpages account.
2. Increase the number of people participating in Mark Eckersons Metal Legion.
3. Increase the amount of actual communication between group members. Specifically, I want to motivate every group member to review the MOCs posted by every other group member.
I an now preparing to close down this group and feel obliged to assess my level of success in acheivnig my three goals:
1.Learing MOCpage Groups. Accomplished. I learned how it works, how to recruit, and that you need to be ready to chuck the bad apples. In this environment, the line between compassion and indisiplin is thin. Justice and fairness must not only be talked about, but must be actively maintained by judicious use of Admin powers. A light touch is needed, but keep the hammer at the ready. I have learned that the balance between free speech and fair play is fragile and crucial.
2. Recruiting for Metal Legion. Accomplished. Most MLRC members are also on Metal Legion home page. It wasn't the warm embrace of the ML founders that put those numbers where they are. The founders have more or less abandoned their group, but that is not my lane. I wanted to recruit for ML, not command it.
3. Encourage Reviewing: Not achieved. This one was like a stone tower with no door. I failed to crack the code entirely. The concept is simple: "Review unto others as you would have them review unto you" But no amount of incentivizing, advising, or explaining on my part would motivate more than a handful of the young builders to review the MOCs of other group members. There were several options I did not try...but those will have to wait for another group. It's a shame though. This was really the "golden goal". The most relevant of the three.
thanks to all who participated, and as a result of my experiences here at MLRC, I will start up another group at some point in the future.