Commander Kroninger. Don't be discouraged. You are the only guy who has even attempted this category. Read the example, and re-submit a new review. Since you are the first guy to try, I will give you this one re-do. Maybe other will learn from your efforts. Review! Attack! Permalink
1. I really liked the use of the helicopter, the chopper looked like something we'd see in the near future, the attention to the lines of the craft and the simple cockpit looked functional and practical.
2. Right, so the cold ones were very cool. Anyone could tell what they were and the point of them. Using them as a "Diversion" was a hillarious tactical ploy. Heck the fact that there is even a cold one officer is awesome in it's own right.
What I didn't dig:
1. The helicopter in the "air." I wish that there were more clear pieces supporting the helicopter. Sort of ruined the illusion of flight for me.
2. The water, I don't know if that's just desk top or smooth legos, it looks like just a blue desk top, maybe adding a little wave or something like that, giving the water some action as it were would have been a better way to show it.
Neutral- The mech, I liked the bright coloring of it, and the overall look, makes me want to build one, but the head on the top of it looked sort of cheesey, building a mech like that, to support a minifigure and make it look good, is probably a pain, lord knows I haven't tried, or plan to, well maybe I will, regardless! Permalink
(1) Commander Esau did an excellent job with his two attack vehicles: the jet fighter and the (flying?) tank. Looking first at the jet, there is some really good greebling work here, and the shape is pretty creative also! I like the unusual angles on the ship's wings, and the missile coming from the jet is really well designed. Overall, the jet has a very unique look. The tank is also built in an interesting way; it appears that the whole bottom section is split in two. Very creative! It almost looks like the tank was dropped and just landed safely on the ground to make the raid on the enemy base. These two excellent vehicles give the MOC an interesting feel.
(2) I really like the enemy base; the color choice of black is good because it feels really evil. I also like the smoke rising from the damaged building, and the dead people lying around. They are two excellent touches. Commander Esau also photographed the black nicely which can be quite difficult.
Two things that I'm not so crazy about:
(1) Although I admire the fact that you photographed the black pieces well, the photography could've been better. The photos are dark overall, and it would be easier to see all the details in his creation if the photos were a little brighter. Some simple post-processing with a free program like GIMP could fix it very nicely and improve the MOC in that way. I also noticed that there was no picture with the entire creation in it, which was disappointing because I wanted to see the whole MOC in its glory instead of shots of only close ups or only half of the MOC.
(2) I also feel that the ground is a bit under-detailed, although a lot is happening here; there are still blank spots that would look better if there was some rubble or landscaping. I doubt that they would build a base on such flat ground; they are sure to have some pits, trenches, spikes, or something like that (although I noticed one small pit and a couple of small walls, but there was not much besides that). More details in the space around the enemy base would've improved the MOC a little.
Last but not least, here is one relevant thing that is neither a like, nor a dislike:
The enemy minifigures seem all the same to me. Don't get me wrong, they look quite awesome! I don't dislike the fact that everyone looks the same but I can't tell who's in charge, or if there are people of different ranks. Are they all the same rank or are there some officers or commandos hidden in there?
Overall, I think Commander Esau did an excellent job with his creation. If he improved on the couple of negative points that I mentioned, he is sure to be a winner! Good job, Dustin! Permalink
PART 1: Name and explain 2 things you like about the model.
(1) The Mojave Garrison Commander MOC is impressive on multiple levels. The opening picture gives a glimpse of a Light Armored Vehicle that not only looks like nothing I have seen before, but is highly detailed and constructed to “take a licking and keep on ticking”. Then, the builder rewards your interest with a second and equally impressive Close Range fighter jet. The angled rear fins, forward swept wings, unconventional missile deployment bay, and endless greebles gives a futuristic feel, but maintains a sense of realism.
(2) I also like the fire effect with the black smoke. It is a variation, and great improvement, of a technique seen before. The addition of the 2x2 round Boat Studs onto the 2x2 round plates gives it a more realistic sense of billowing smoke. The use of black really drives home the visual impact and indicates that missile hit its mark with precision.
PART 2: Name and explain 2 things you don’t like about the model.
(1) The overall MOC is a bit static. Not completely, as you see the missile about to hit the compound and then the aftermath, but those are the only two major scenes. So much more could have been done with all this detail. I would like to have seen a shot of the jet passing by the compound after the missile strike, a progression of Unit Viper 6 following the tank crashing through the wall and then taking out targets once inside, and maybe a final victory shot of them standing on the roof having accomplished their mission. This would have been a perfect opportunity to do whole comic-style strip. It could have had 30 pictures and I would have looked at each one with as much eager enthusiasm as the last.
2) The truck was such a great addition, but was completely unutilized and left in the background. Some of the soldiers could have tried to escape in it and been destroyed by the fighter, or just been blown up in the initial strike. It seemed like it was going to play some part in the story and I was a bit disappointed that it wasn’t.
PART 3: Name one thing that is NEITHER a like nor a dislike, but which is relevant.
There needed to be a lot more pictures. There are parts of this MOC that were built and not seen very well. There is detail behind the truck in the compound that is barely visible, but not noted or seen better later on. Permalink
Come on Commander Kroninger. Don't let these guys hog the stage. You started this shooting match, give us a re-do of your initial entry. Take a look at the example, and imitate the pattern. Show us how the world looks through "Kroninger Goggles"! Review! Permalink