Hi Everyone. I'm an AFOL who only came out of his "dark age" in 2011. It was a perfect combination of the following that brought me back after a 20 year absence:
- My mother threatened to throw away the childhood Lego collection! Although I hadn't looked at the in decades, something made me rush in and save them.
- A 5th grade student of mine brought in the Star Wars MTT that he had built and I was mesmerized! Lego was producing new pieces, new colors and Star Wars themed sets?! I had no idea!
- My daughter (4 years old at the time) was diagnosed with Leukemia so I found myself unable to get away from the house for very long. Trapped in the house with nothing to do (when not caring for my daughter!), I began the task of sorting my collection to pass the time and take my mind off of things. Once sorted, I couldn't resist the temptation to build! It was so much easier to build from sorted bins than from a huge pile on the floor!
- A different student introduced me to the bricklink site! Here I discovered that I wasn't the only middle aged guy who dabbled in Lego. Immediately, I was freed of the inhibitors of shame and embarrassment that had kept me away all those years! And perhaps more importantly, I realized there would never again be a limit to what I could build!
- Soon after I stumbled upon MOCpages and was inspired by people's creations!