Version 2.0 of Obi-Wan's Jedi Starfighter Hyperdrive Ring. This MOC is loosely based on the still-better-than-mine version created by Jason Allemann (I don't know him, but WOW for that set!!) Thanks for the inspiration out there!!
About this creation
Whew! Finally finished my Hyperdrive Ring (second version) after two weeks of rework. I decided that the Clone Pilots in the ARC-170 Starfighter set would be ideal pilots for my MOC AT-AT , so I bought the set, and once again, never built it (though with all the spares I have from this set, I might buy another and "upgrade it", plus have 6 pilots!). I scrapped the first version completely and parted that out, since the red 1x4 plates and those rocket booster looking pieces would come in handy. Those 4x1 modified clip bricks just weren't sturdy enough, so I ditched that too, and used 10L Technic axles and #3 joints (the 135 degree ones) to create the "circle". I'll explain more through each picture. Check out the HUUUUUUGE difference between this one and version 1.0 to see the detail and size added.
The ring is mostly 4 studs wide, with the exception of the boosters (I'm not counting) and the crossbeam that holds the Starfighter, which is 6 wide.
Here you can see I changed the rear 6 long slopes with detail from the ARC-170 for the plain ones from the Starfighter. I like it better with detail. You can also see some greeblies. Okay, you can see a lot of greeblies on the ring.
Unlike V. 1.0, this looks like it's "on". The booster engines that is.
Close inspection will show the parts from the ARC-170 being used blatantly here, but other than that, some old Technic parts I gratefully found a use for, and a purchased bucket of 4x8 plates in red, I didn't use much.
The dimensions and the position aren't 100% movie accurate, but that's never my main goal. Ease of use in playability, and good looks relative to what it is... that's it. Like I've said before, I like everything to have a playset feel to it.
Here you can see the docking system I used. The pins create easy on/off capability for the ever so slightly modified Starfighter. The 2x2 tiles serve their obvious purpose (no studs), and the ship's base is only 4 wide, so it nestles perfectly. Like a glove.
This baby is pretty heavy. Like the photo above, you can see the detail added from the first version, and the crossbeam shows plenty of it. The 3x6 33 degree slopes with detail on them get covered by the wings of the Starfighter when docked, so it created a continuous effect, and saved me from having to build a top crossbeam, which would have added weight, taken away from the continuity of this model, and basically would have aggravated me.
I certainly was getting tired of rebuilding this thing. This version took 4 complete tries using the same system. Still V. 2.0, but build/take apart/build/take apart/build/take apart/build... gets a little frustrating when you're not getting results and you're trying too hard. Glad I got this one finished.
The minor modification made to the Jedi Starfighter to make it compatible with the Hyperdrive Ring. It's a 9L Technic beam added to the modified 2x4 bricks with pins that are already on the ship. The "front" pins are being used by the ship's nose, and this part fills the "back" pins that weren't being used anyway. With this part added, and the two slopes on the ship's tail changed (those for more detail... see above), a total of only three parts were changed on this model to fit it for a custom model. I'm pretty proud of that. Hope you enjoy.