I'm still working. A work in progress version of the Ikaruga, from Ikaruga
About this creation
EDIT: Sorry for the initial confusion; my computer freaked out and posted four times by accident. They've now been deleted, thankfully. Ack!
So, for those of you who don't follow my Flickr or check my homepage, you may be unaware that I'm obsessed with the Treasure shooter Ikaruga. I've gotten to be quite good at it, in fact. As part of my insanity, I've decided to build the fighter, which shares the game's name, to minifig scale. This has already taken me a couple months, mostly because of a huge lack of build time due to school, ski team, etc. and a general lack of motivation. The following pics are still purely WIP, and many of the colors are completely wrong. The entire wing surfaces are untiled, and the rear half of the engine pod is not finished. Eventually I'll Bricklink the rest of the parts in the right colors, then glue the thing and keep it forever, likely bringing it to a con in a year or so.
Please ignore the battery box, it only serves as a counterweight.
These renders are my main accuracy check, although I also use developer's concept art and in-game screenshots as references to ensure it's as correct as possible.
The leftmost assembly is the engine pod; since I'm such a perfectionist it's detailed on the underside too. The way that I've built this is INCREDIBLY complex, and I'm honestly unable to explain it with words. It's mostly solid inside, and is actually incredibly robust despite the level of detail (actually, if the other pod were built and the weight balanced, this model could be swooshed very nicely. It's extremely sturdy throughout, and once glued the final version will be even more so). I still need to do the rear portion, and add the landing leg and dorsal fin.
The central section of the fighter is what I need to work on the most. The cockpit shown is very meh, and I have a few other designs to try. The sword technique was shown on my Flickr here, but may be adjusted (especially lengthwise) to accommodate the fighter's size. As you can see I still haven't started on the intake vents or rear worky bits and greebs, so that'll come soon.
My favorite view of the original fighter is also my favorite view of the WIP. compare it to this image for a sense of how close I'm trying to stay, and where I'm going with this.
This pic was included for two reasons: to showcase a potent joint technique that I may have discovered, and to show the shutter design. For the latter, I only have enough of the brackets for the first shutter, but at every one of the clips there will be an assembly similar to the bottom-most one. The joint technique is used to hold the forward steering vanes (At least, I think that's what they are; they aren't the guns) in place, and can hold a lot more weight than just that at extreme angles. It uses only two pieces, and is a hollow helical joint that I've found useful for tank turrets and other such things.
So yeah. Keep in mind that this is still a WIP, and that the colors are completely inaccurate right now.