So Finally after many weeks of racking my brain trying to come up with both an original and totally awesome model I started thinking about some of the old space movies and one of my favorites is "The Last Starfighter". So I did some research found that very few people had ever built one and bam started building. I have not yet taken this one apart due to the fact that this was my longest project ever. This set really tested my limits both with engineering design and technique. I had to focus on many different parts at the same time. There are about 8-9 differnet parts to the ship. The cockpit, the wings, the main block, the engines, the back, side and front casings and then death blossom doors.
In the following picture this is the gunstar with death blossom doors open.
And now with the pilots outside of the ship.
A closer hind shot. I liked what I did here with the inverted 1x2x3 slope to achieve this fluid close off.
A picture of the back engine. This was a unique way of doing the engine that worked out some how.
One of the two rear facing guns. I had to unfortunatly bend some of the bars in making of it.
here is one og the death blossom doors up close with both the doors death or not-so-terrible-looking position
a picture of the foward cockpit defensive guns.
The "Armsman" chair or Alex's spot. I love the striped 1x2 plate for the death blossom activation button.
Grig's "Pilot" seat. That looks complicated.
Here is a full shot of the engine on the wing of the ship.
The foils??? I dont know what these are but I believe these are for the landing gear. I wasnt able to find a good way to make it.
This is main forward dual battery gun.... Thank goodness for SNOT.
The front of the engine with the directional thrusters.
This is the left wing without the death blossoms doors.
Just showing you where it goes :)
The doors off of the ship.
what the look like when they are open... or in the "Business District"
The full front panels of the left wing.
Without the panels/dorrs you can see the pretty insides hold this bucket of bolts together.
Here is the "back of the ship portion.
And now the full ship... just in two pieces.
Finally here is a new technique (or at least I believe so). It is very useful for geing two angles lined up at 90 degrees just follow the steps.
So I am guessing this set was about 600-700 pieces in the making and it took about 20 hours beginning to finish. Please comment!