This is my first attempt at a SHIP. I started it late in 2010. Took some long breaks waiting for BL orders and a trip to Disney World for massive PAB spending at the Orlando Lego store. Size is about 190x138 studs (61x42.5 inches), so does that count as a SHIP˛?
The gray technic beams sticking up and red ones below are temporary for support. The engines along the back (clear strip) will be mounted about level with the edge of the ship. The pyramid will sit about 4 bricks higher on a platform. The size was determined by my desire to use two 10x6x2 curved windscreens for the nose, and I really wanted to be near microfig scale.
The paper underneath is a template I created by using Corel Trace to convert an overhead photo into a vector drawing. I printed it out at full scale and then marked it up with major details so I can just start building and keep everything at the proper perspective and curvature.
The pyramid is almost done. I think I just need to greeble the top a bit more. I spent a lot of time prototyping this in LDD to get the slopes right and manage the various cutout sections.
The 'curved' profile is done with short, straight segments attached by 1x4 hinge plates. Each corner is attached by another hinge plate to a 1x2 'X' technic brick parallel to another 1x2 'X' technic and an axle holds the two sides at an irregular spacing through friction. This technique allows me to firmly attach the two pieces with little regard to the actual distance between them.
Side view. This is actually an underside shot. The whole bottom will be studs-down. The top and bottom are sandwiched with a layer of mostly 1x2 bricks with studs on the sides with two 1x2 plates as spacers. With just a single layer of plates on the bottom side, it's already very strong.
The frame is very similar to the one used in the UCS Millennium Falcon. Three layers of technic bricks go all the way to the nose for extreme rigidity. I'll add even more layers in the back when I get it done more. Everything will be vertically pinned together later as needed. And no, this is not a bottom shot. I'm building the frame inverted so that the snotted bottom will have more places to attach, while the top will enjoy the benefits of gravity.
Major purchases so far to augment what I already have:
2x4 slope 45 black (two large cups)
1x1 plate clear (almost 1 large cup)
1x2 plate black (4 large cups, mostly for later)
1x2 brick clear (small cup, would like to replace these with trans dark blue plates)
1x8 tile black (almost 1 large cup)
2x2 plate black (small cup)
2x12 plate lbg (small cup, for frame)
4x4 radar dish - black (half small cup)
Lots of greebly bits.
1x14 technic bricks (~150)
1x2 brick with studs on sides (300 - may only need half)
2x2 macaroni brick black (~100)
Lots of greebly bits.