The PzKpfw IV was a German medium tank which saw service in World War II
About this creation
The Panzerkampfwagen IV (Pz.Kpfw. IV), commonly known as the Panzer IV, was a medium tank developed in Nazi Germany in the late 1930s and used extensively during the Second World War.
Designed as an infantry-support tank, the Panzer IV was not originally intended to engage enemy armor—that function was performed by the lighter Panzer III. However, with the flaws of pre-war doctrine becoming apparent and in the face of Soviet T-34 tanks, the Panzer IV soon assumed the tank-fighting role of its increasingly obsolete cousin.
Robust and reliable, it saw service in all combat theaters involving Germany, and has the distinction of being the only German tank to remain in continuous production throughout the war, with over 8,800 produced between 1936 and 1945.
The Panzer IV was powered by a 12-cylinder Maybach HL 120 TRM engine, capable of 296hp. It had a fuel capacity of 470 liters, giving it an operational range of 200km. The Maybach engine provided enough power to get the Panzer IV up to 42km/h on paved surfaces and just over 16km/h off-road.
The Panzer IV remained in use for quite a while. Several Panzer IV's were sold by France and Spain to Syria. These tanks saw combat in the 1965 "Water War" with Israel, and again in 1967 in the Golan Heights during the Six-Day War. Bulgaria incorporated its surviving Panzer IVs in defensive bunkers as gunpoints on the border with Turkey. These turrets remained in use until the fall of communism in 1989.
LDD renders of my upgraded Panzer IV
A crew of 5, consisting of a commander, loader, gunner, driver and a radio operator/bow machine-gunner, ran the Panzer IV. Unfortunately, this model can only hold two minifigs, a commander and driver. Guess they'll have to multitask.
Early versions of the Panzer IV were armed with a 75mm howitzer and a coaxial MG15. However, just before the commencement of Operation Barbarossa, Hitler decided to change the main armament to a KwK 40 L/43 7.5cm anti-tank gun. The KwK 40 L/43 would later go on to be developed into the PaK 40. Also, the MG34 replaced the obsolescent MG15 as the coaxial machine-gun. The MG34 would also be installed in the mantlet of the gun to give the Panzer IV extra firepower. Towards the end of the war, another MG34 was mounted on the roof by the commander's cupola.