Based loosely on the Demag AC50-1 and a model that was created some time ago by Jennifer Clark (http://www.genuinemodels.com/demag_crane.htm) I re-designed this model from the bottom up and have also updated its looks a little
About this creation
- Drive from all six wheels to power the six cylinder Technic engine
- Six wheel steering, select between standard and crab steering
- Un-sprung Pendular suspension for all axles with option to lock front and rear axle
- 9v motor with selector to lower/raise outriggers or rotate superstructure
- Opening cab doors
- 9v motor to raise/lower boom
- 9v motor to extend boom
- 9v motor to wind cable
The boom functions are achieved by using some custom parts which is not ideal. For both boom luffing and telescoping I have used 4mm threaded screw integrated with Technic axle joiners.
I am happy with the functionality of the model, although it has some areas which could be improved. Due to the weight the steering is too heavy, there is also the problem that the wheels need to be absolutely perfectly lined up when selecting between standard and crab steering. I would have like to have sprung the suspension as in the current set up it is necessary to lock either the front or rear suspension (or both).