So this is the making of my Republic frigate. First off, I'd like to say sorry this took so long to post, I've had so much going on in the past two weeks. But I have been reading all the friendly comments from everyone.
If you take a close look at these photos you will see lots of trials and errors. Sorry everyone, there's no interior.
I would also like to say that it may be a bit before I post another MOC. My next post will be showing off my Clone collection.
Lets start at the begging. I bought the 7964 Republic Frigate and had a lot of fun putting it together and after I was done I thought it would look really cool in dark red. As I looked on Bricklink for part I saw Lego already made one in red, the 7665 Republic Cruiser.
After my Bricklink order (with the 16 - Dark Red Panel 4 x 4 x 6 Quarter Cylinder
and 2 - Dark Red Cone Half 8 x 4 x 6) came in I started substituting parts from the Frigate in dark red. As you can see from the photo above, it looked like garbage. This led me to think that my Frigate would only look good if I made it twice its size.
So the first thing I did was try to make the three large engines in the back.
I knew I would need to redesign the cockpit, I only made this one to try to get an idea of the proportions I wanted.
It looked grate as a cool space ship but didn't resemble the real Frigate much. It became clear to me that I would need to go even bigger than I had originally thought.
So I started messing around with engine shapes and sizes. Sorry I didn't take more photos of some of my crazy engine bloopers.
I like this photo because you can see the difference in the original size.
Once I had the size I wanted, I needed to redesign the entire back end.
The big engines just blew me away!
I finally raised it off its belly and started making landing-gear. As you can see I needed the lime green supports to hold the massive weight up.
I had a lot of trouble designing the "escape pod" area. In the photo above its to short, in the one below its way to long.
Another Bricklink order for clear bricks.
I really liked the idea of having the droids surrendering. I knew I had to incorporate it somehow.
You can see it brakes down into three parts to make transport easier.
Very exciting building story. Thanks for posting the lot of photos; it is really interesting. The engines becomes always bigger with progress in developing the shape...must be an natural law. Und nun haste die komplette Klon-Mannschaft für dieses Schiff...Kampfdroiden ade!
Thanks for the insight into your creative processes. It's also interesting (to me at least) to see the order you built things. GREAT touch with the droids surrendering, especially the one with its head pull off.