This is my custom Rebel Blockade Runner. It is strongly based on #10019 with some structural changes, but most of the changes are cosmetic.
I did not care for the largely white base of the original ship, preferring to use gray and dark gray (blay actually) with some black and trans-red for good measure. I am pretty sure there isn’t one white piece on this ship.
It certainly took some time to build as I made it through Season 1 of Battlestar Galactica (new series) while I worked on it. Once it had been built, and I lamented the loss of many trans-red pieces that are buried inside and out of sight, I worked on the finishing to make it look ‘pretty’. The model went through many changes as greebles went on and came off until I was satisfied with the results (as much as I can ever be).
Things I would change:
1) make the ‘body’ of the ship more substantial
2) go studless
3) have the delivery service work faster so I wouldn’t have had to work so hard digging through my unsorted bins for the parts I needed (I’m lazy)
4) how to have vivid day-dreams like Dr. Gaius Baltar (off of BG; without being schizophrenic and having to learn how to do the Haldol shuffle)
This is my first custom Star Wars ship. My son and I have built most of the smaller ships with all the bigger sets still in boxes waiting for our next move.
So what is in the future:
1) LOTR battle scene – Helm’s Deep. Parts and armour are rolling in to make this a reality as I am trying to make it about 1/10 scale as far as minifigs go. I have also been raping Bricklink of blay and dark-blay. ETC – Christmas (hopefully).
2) Moria/Balrog scene – need something to use my old gray/dark-gray on.
3) P.O.A. – based on Stephen L.’s drawings, which he has kindly shared with me, as well as pictures of his model. It will be to the same scale at about 1.2m long. I will likely make this one in stages and keep a running log similar to Mark Kelso’s log for his Invisible Hand.
4) Rebuilding the landscape – easier to build new models than rebuild one accidentally damaged.
5) Build the last two Pimm Industries tanks and vtol
Parts are from Bricklink , if you haven’t been to this site yet, then you should be careful. It is like crack to a junkie. There is a C.A.G.E. questionnaire for alcohol addiction (not great, but useful):
C = Have you ever thought you needed to cut down?
A = Have you have been angry/annoyed at someone who suggested you should cut down?
G = Have you ever felt guilty about your consumption?
E = Have you ever had an ‘eye-opener’?
If you can answer yes to any two of these, then you are high risk of being a ‘Lego-holic’. I am sure I can answer yes to all of them ;-)
Shameless plug for a couple of great sellers: Lego Lady BrickExchange
These sellers both offer a wide variety of parts, great service, fast shipping, and fair prices.
very nice re-design of the ship. It looks quite a bit more menacing in your color scheme. It's on a diplomatic mission to Alderan, but you;ve revealed that it truly is working with the Rebel Alliance.
Wow, thanks to the guy that left the 10 bajillion out of five remark, you've thrown the site's length out of whack. But anyway, its a great custom that certainly improved the original. Is there a 12 step program for us addicts?
Sometimes good MOC's - like this one - sneak by me (and I've even visited your home page several times since this was posted)...so thank the Lords of Cobal for "MOC of the Day." The bley seems to suit this ship well, and the changes are effective - much improved. Like you, I'd love to see a studless version some time. And I did, in fact, answer a resounding "yes" to all four questions...not only am I in the Lego-haulic's club, I could run for Grand Poobah!!!
Excellent! I thought the original set was great. This cusom is BRILLIANT and inspiring. I appreciate the efforts of something like this. The effort to build, design and then photograph and post is phenomenal. Right on!
you did a great job on this one,and if you ask me,it is your best MOC yet!a few things:1)does it have an interior?I really like ships with interiors....2)too many things are poking out of the front,you should take those out and leave em out.(the tantitive IV had weapons,but they didn't stick out the front...or did they?)3)WAY TO GO!
very nice moc!!!!! i wanted to get a rebel blockade runner myself but i didn't. how many pieces are in that? you should get the ultimate collectors edition millennium falcon and customize that but nice creation