Special thanks go to Angka Utama on whose design this is largely based.
The design is "mostly" the same as Angka's, the only significant changes are how I achieved the wheels, the arm joints/decoration and the colour scheme. Beyond that the transformation is largely the same.
What I like about this design?
- I like the fact it has both horizontal and vertical rotation at the shoulder, it (now) has an elbow which points in the correct direction.
- It has "hands", so if I wish it can be outfitted with weapons.
- The legs have a sideways rotation and forward/back movement, as well as a knee joint. In a design this small it is sometimes difficult to achieve both.
- The "face behind the shield" look adds character to the design and strengthens the "drone" feel of the design.
- The "dragster" shape. This thing looks like it was built to race.
What I'm not sure about?
- Both in the original and my version, I'm not sure about the hips. I prefer to get a little outward bend at the hips to increase the number of poses. Difficult to achieve at this scale, but if I used a different system for the joints, not entirely impossible.
- Colours. I was originally going to change the white for something else, maybe Ferrari Yellow or British racing green, but in the end stuck with white. A different colour scheme might make it feel more like it was my own design rather than a straight copy.
- Headlights. What Angka did, making the headlights into toes, was clever, but I'm not sure I like it. I'll brainstorm some other ways to achieve a foot and see what works.
- Undercarriage. To make sure I had plenty of clearance I altered the underside from the original design quite a lot. This unfortunately means the design might not be too stable by comparison.