This is a work-in-progress MOC, since not all functionalities are completely finished. When all is done I post the ldraw file.
The functionalities include:
- Ackermann steering
- front wheel drive
- traction control (can be overriden by the driver when the car is set into 'lock diffs' setting or 'no-traction-control' setting)
- variable suspension (2 settings: tour (relaxed suspension) & sports (lowered chassis & stiffer springs))
Credits to others who gave me ideas on this work are:
- Sheepo (front wheel drive & braking)
- George Staples (Ackermann steering tutorial)
- www.lpepower.com (loads of realistic car details in lego)
This is an updated version of the suspension, with the variable suspension implemented.
I compressed all pictures to 256-color in order to speed up viewing.
Top view in sports setting (uncompressed springs): both springs 'rest' against the middle black-yellow beam.
Top view in sports setting (compressed springs):
To go to the tour setting, two small pneumatic cylinders are used that lift the car upward
Top view in tour setting (uncompressed springs): the 'top' spring is pushed away from the middle black-yellow beam by the pneumatic cylinder, while the 'bottom' spring is not. This causes the 'bottom' cylinder to be set out of action. This is perhaps more clear in the compressed image.
Top view in tour setting (compressed springs): the 'top' spring is pushed away from the middle black-yellow beam by the pneumatic cylinder, while the 'bottom' spring is not (this is visible because now the 'bottom' spring rests against the middle black-yellow beam again).