28/07/2013 - I've set myself a challenge. Starting 28/7/2013, ending 10/08/2013, I need to create (or rather recreate) a design based on the following concept:
What if "the king" also had a Steam Knight armour?
- The armour must look like it is intended for royalty, (in other words it needs to look better designed, made from stronger materials, and possibly better decorated than the other armours. Possibly more ceremonial looking than functional).
- The armour MUST include at least one feature no previous Steam Knight has.
- The armour should include a weapon "fit for a king". (In other words, don't rip off an existing design).
- The final design should be ready to upload to Cuusoo no later than 11/08/2013.
Edit(05/08/2013): (work in progress) I'm going to be posting images of each version as I complete them, here are links to the current crop 1 3 4
As I explained in the notes for "3" I scrapped the changes for "2" before I took any images so they are not included.
In a realm of magic the wise men and elves have invented steam technology, these walking suits of armour have been dubbed "Steam Knights".
Name: Emperor Rex
Known History: Rex is the ruler of the human occupied lands of the medieval Universe of the Steam Knights. For most of his life he has ruled from his lion sculpted throne with honour and wisdom, but the rising threat of the Wyvern sect of humans has caused him to become more directly involved in the wars fought to protect his lands.
Seeking the aid of the Wizard of the Green, Rex was directed on a quest to find an ancient sword, which was brought to the kingdom long ago from a distant land. Rex dispatched his bravest knights on the quest and eventually Sir Benedict returned with the blade.
On examining the blade, Rex was shocked to discover the same Easter text as was found on the artefacts which had given the Wyvern sect their disturbing visions. Troubled by this revelation, he sat in his throne pondering the implications, when the castle was attacked. The combination of Rex's need to act and the Eastern magics of the Changelings transformed the throne into a golden Steam Knight armour.
After engaging Lord Bryson in battle the armour converted into its secondary form to battle Bryson's Cockatrice, that of a huge golden lion.
I've skipped the (aborted) version 2 I produced last night (it's currently around 5am here) as I was unhappy with some of the modifications.
1. brand new sword. While I've tried to avoid using Hero Factory elements in this theme I just love that sword blade.
2. Additional joint at the shoulder. Gives a much greater range of movement and widens the stance of both modes.
3. New forearm/forelimb. Actually it is almost an entirely new limb. I decided to go with a little hinge that covers the hand so it is no longer as visible from the side or front.
4. Emperor Rex now has his crown back. Previous version was given a more general helm.
Further planned changes for version 4:
1. Legs are no longer in proportion to the forelimbs in either mode, need beefing up a little.
2. Lion seems very forward heavy. Probably need to fill out the hind quarters somehow.
3. Still some visible studs that wouldn't be affected by the transformation if I covered them up.
Version 4 is now 90% ready to start taking pictures, however I'm noticing that while the individual forms look pretty good, when I show the two forms together the lion form just looks odd.
Part of the problem seems to be that the spin is quite short, which was ok for the Knight form but just seems dwarfish for the lion mode.
I may look into replacing the ball and socket joint of versions 1-4 with something else, so I can extend the hind section without the Knight looking too lanky.