Built 1998, my first articulated close coupled engine. Not quite the Milwaukee RR color scheme.
About this creation
Here's a Milwaukee Railroad EP-2 Bi-Polar Electric engine, built in 1998. This
engine was originally ran in the 1920's and was used between the Midwest and the
The orange, red, and black color scheme of the Milwaukee RR was impossible to
model in 1998, so I made up my own. I believe that a GMLTC'er built one in
2000 in MRR colors, 7 or 8 wide, as I recall it's very nice.
This was my first articulated engine and it required close coupling. I used
LEGO(r) rubber bands which has worked out fine (they haven't broken once and
it's 2003), however they are buried into the design which make the engine hard
to handle. The my design goal for the close coupling was to keep the gap small
while rounding corners, so I created a vestibule that is 4 wide but protrudes
only 1/2 stud. This helps lessen the gap because it is the pivot point.
The rounded top of the body came from 2x4x2 bricks, that came from the older
generic play buckets for younger folks. The gray ones happen to have teddy bear
faces on them! I recall visitors at train shows chuckled when I showed them