8284 Tractor in red with 'real' steering, pneumatic three-point linkage, front PTO and other improvements.
About this creation
When TLC brought out the Technic 8284 tractor the thought of all those farm implements I could build was too much to resist! After building the original TLC version I was impressed by how well they had captured the look and feel of a modern tractor, but it was let down in one key area - the implement hitch on the back. They had clearly made the model to hit a price point and any resemblance to a real tractor was lost. This red version is my attempt to rectify this. By the end of the project I had not only given the tractor realistic working three-point linkage, but improved the seat position, replaced the "hand-of-God" steering and provided a PTO (Power Take Off) on the front.
All credit to the TLC chassis for being so adaptable. Studless technic made it possible to strip out the rear of the model without having to break down the whole tractor. At the rear the only original parts of the chassis were the double-bent beams. UPDATE - See my Revised (again) tractor which features a complete overhaul of the pneumatic system to provide front and rear outlets for implements as well as the three point hitch.
Here the three-point linkage is shown in its up and down position. The centre arm is held up by the use of a rubber band which makes attaching the top point nice and easy. Although I doubt the small pneumatic pistons would lift a long double sided plough, they appear to be quite effective. The only unrealistic thing when being raised without any implement attached is the tendancy for one side to lift before the other.
I do like things to be neat. Pneumatic tubing is always a pain on technic models. The difficulty I had here was keeping them clear of the rear wheels as I had very little space to play with. In the end I redesigned the rear axle and the frames which support the wheels to provide better ground clearance than the TLC model. In doing so I found a solution to the routing of my tubes.
Although not evident in these pictures, the rear PTO had to be adapted to position the bend point of the universal joint in the right place to allow powered implements to work regardless of the arm angle. I wish TLC would make a 3L joint as the old 4L one was designed for studded beams. I wanted on-board pneumatic power so although the tiny pump takes a bit of pumping at least I can 'set' the model without using the large sprung handpump as mounting this on the model would have spoiled it. I like the way that the model now has a realistic number of levers for the farmer to use! The PTO toggle lever was moved inboard to give space for the pump.
Adding the front PTO was comparatively easy and involved moving the lights and adding a support for the axle. The red axle here is a 3L one. As the engine of this model is 'powered' by the rear wheels and the front PTO comes off the front of the engine it doesn't have a huge amount of torque! The difficulty with modifying the steering was the fact that the engine transmission runs right through it! Stripping out the "Hand of God" steering freed up space for the new rear PTO and the improved seat. Raising the original steering wheel allowed the fitting of a universal joint and the yellow knob gears got me back down to the original steering axle. The steering works and can be comfortably turned through the cab roof, but the triple knob gears have a dead point in the straight ahead position that makes the steering a bit notchy. To accommodate the knob gears the drive cogs off the back of the engine had to be moved forward by 1 which meant adding new supports for the engine (see full underside photo above).
One day I'll make a trailer based hay-tedder, but to test my new three-point linkage I modified TLC's tedder by fitting three attachment points. I found that there is enough slack in the tractor's arms to simply fit the two bottom points by moving the arms apart. This means I don't have to peg them together, just use axle pins that can sit in the holes of the lower arms. The PTO shaft is then married up to the end of the universal joint on the tractor and the tedder swung up to push the PTO together. The top arm is pulled down to meet the top fixing point on the tedder. A studded 3L axle slides through the top arm. The beauty of true three-point linkage is the ability to operate implements at any height unlike TLC's arms which just rotated them upwards off the ground. I also fitted retaining clips to hold the two tedder arms safely upright for when the tractor is on the road!
Implements mounted on the three-point linkage that don't require PTO can use the full up and down range of the arms. Overall I'm very pleased with the solution. Now I wonder what bits I need for a round bailer...
hi.its legofan again.i just had a idea that you could build a snowblower.and of course post some pictures.but the reason im writing this is that i wanna build or buy my own snowblower but since i dont have enough bricks to build my own i wondered if you cut build one that i cut buy.i got the same three point linkage as you got but i use a cylinder at the top.and i wondered if you could sell me 2 of those cylinders that you used.i have been trying with regulary cylinders but theres not enough space to that.
i hope you answer me soon.