Time to take a break from structures and finally build some rolling
It is a simple design, I spent most of the time building the base-plate with
cutouts for the stairs and the trucks to match. I attacked this as a 2 plate
thick assembly. The main considerations were the cutouts, obstacle free technic
holes for the trucks, color alignment, and strength!
The rest was built in two phases, first the body and then the roof & copula
(the top part with windows). The body took several iterations; of course
starting out with a giant ugly red box of bricks atop the frame and wheels
(isn't that how they all start though!). I tried variations on: all corrugated,
then none corrugated, then just the bottom row, and finally what you see; due to
the fact that I want the decal in the same place as the model prototype. I
copied the hand rail idea from an older caboose (Chessie) I put together, but
I'm sure I stole that idea from someone else though... :D
The copula was the next step. I think the front and rear facing windows set
in backwards helps add some character and alleviates the ugly gap that is left
by to airplane windows set in perpendicularly (is that a word?). The rest just
fell into place. I literally lifted the 1x1 plate clips and black light saber arrangements
directly off the roof of the stock LEGO caboose and stuck it on mine.
The decals came in a Model Railroader Magazine a year or two ago and they are
specifically used for this MR project! BTW I am looking for another set of these
for more rolling stock if anyone has some and is willing to give them up! (send
me mail at sebarile@-no_spam-sstanamera.com)
Here is a pic of the HO caboose:
Here are some pics of the LEGO version:
Since the first post of this MOC there have been 3 mods.
1) Added interior.
2) Changed roof into a three part removable roof. This forced a simplification
in the cupola, a 1x2x2 thin wall panel between the front and rear facing
3) Change the porch. I removed a layer of 1x2 grills and the studs they attach to (via a 4x4 plate-tile with 1 row of 4 studs). I'm still not sure which way to go with this.
Here are a few pics of the interior (rendered) of the caboose: