An attempt to remake my first real MOC, the Shield Breaker. It was going to feature better landing gear, better detailing, better greebling, better coloring... better everything. But I just couldn't make it work out.
About this creation
Status: Abandoned, as of October 23rd, 2008
I had originally planned to enter a newer, better version in a contest on Classic Space, but some design blocks, random schedule changes, and a rapidly approaching deadline caught up to me: I dismantled the WIP. I am tired of this design for now, and I don't think I will be trying again any time soon. This was a rather frustrating build, and even though it got quite far, the problems I experienced with it have worn me out.
The same basic shape and layout were kept, but the rest of it was completely gutted. I extended the power plant, beefed up the ion cannon, slimmed out some of the middle, and bulked up the interior. The same story and description from the original Shield Breaker would apply, but with things like "34% more energy from the power plant", and "increased the yield of the ion cannon by 21%" and so forth added because of the new design.
I used white LEGO elastic bands to help hold the shape together. Like the first Shield Breaker, the extreme ends of the wings tend to separate from each other for some reason. The elastic bands really helped to hold it together. The arrangement changed right before the whole "arrrrgh! stupid MOC, I hate you!" moment, and really held the ends together. A lesson for future building, to be sure.
You can also see the much improved ion cannon (bottom of photo) and power plant (top of photo). I kept the cannon section intact as a tablescrap for future use.
Here you can see the improved landing gear I came up with. It folded up nicely, held in place up or down, and helped carry the color scheme. I tested it out with heavy objects, and the system took about ten pounds before falling apart. I wish I had some photos of it. I think that a larger version properly arranged would be able to support a very large and heavy SHIP, while still being compact enough to prevent it from getting in the way of anything.
The power plant (the large black section) had folding out parts that would have had computer tiles on them. A flight technician from the ground crew would have been included as part of the MOC, and he would have been able to open these parts to look at computer screens and circuits to fix the power plant. They were located in the middle, both on the top and bottom.
The landing gear folded up so nicely, I was thinking that it would be the best feature of the whole redesign. Too bad I'll never get to see it used on it now. I think my first large-sized spaceship will use them. It's a good, solid design. It's also entirely modular, so I can just slap it onto another WIP to see how it would look and work.
The red round section was supposed to be the new and improved deflector shield emitter. It was one of a few completely redesigned sections that I liked and finalized. It looked great, held together well, and added to the whole feel of the MOC.
The biggest problem I faced was recreating the drop-down cockpit. I just could not create a system in the available space that worked. It was the final blow to an already annoying series of problems. It was a great idea on the first one, but a terrible experience on the second.
Ahh, well. It's over now. I may try again sometime down the road, but for now, this is a dead project. It's completely dismantled, and every piece used has been put back in it's proper place. Hopefully, someone here will look at some part of it and be inspired or something. IF anyone wants details on how to make the landing gear, just ask, and I will get some close-ups and instructions.