My heavily reworked take on the official "UCS" Y-wing.
About this creation
My first posted work in quite some time, this reworking of the official "UCS" Y-wing was actually done several months ago, but I had no way to upload the pics until now.
I consider this a setmod/custom hybrid because, like my most recent X-wing version, it started as the official set but ended up with so much changed that it's more than half my original work. Because the original set had so many problems, this was a necessity in my mind. That said, the set does have strong points, which I worked my modifications around. Hopefully the pics will be enjoyable and will reveal just what I did to bring the ship in better scale and proportion to itself!
Here's a side angle to start. The most obvious and widely talked about problem with the original set was of course the s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-d out engine pods (both the main solid section and the length of pylons to the rear of it were much too long, a shame for what was otherwise in many ways a well-thought out and executed set by LEGO. Still, shortening them was just the begining...
Front high angle, showing the nose of the ship, the section that underwent the most change (the orignal was too small and lacked the right sightlines. Of course, mine doesn't have perfect sightlines either, working within the restraints of the brick, but I think I got it closer at least.
Overhead view, revealing that the actual "body" (middle section) of the ship was shortened as well...it was as if the original had been put on a rack by the Empire in punishment for years of effective bombing runs! Admittedly, this view also show that my cockpit is just a bit shorter than it should be. I couldn't work out a way to lengthen it without losing any decent appearance for the side angles, so I left it...for now.
On the stand (forgot to take the landing gear off). To be honest, I did this project so long ago that I can't remember exactly how I changed the detailing on the body. I know I left some features of the original set, but I toned down the overload of light brown, increased the asymmetry, and corrected the positioning of the engine pylons and support "arms" in relation to the main body.
The underside, with my favorite addition: proton torpedo launce tubes! A certain reviewer ripped one of my earlier setmods, saying I should like the official sets as they are. Well, that's...an opinion, but when fun and more movie-accurate mods are there for the making, how exactly is that a bad thing?
Big brother and little brother (my original custom minifig version). While my minifig scale version is admittedly a bit oversized (I base my minfig stuff on their width, not height, envisioning them as between 6 and 7 studs tall), clearly the "UCS" Y-wing is not up to scale with the original UCS releases of X-wing and TIE Interceptor (even with my widening of the ship and bulking up of the pylons). The Y-wing is a huge ship, a full 33 or more % longer than the X-wing!
Congrats on MOC of the day. Wow..... Great greebeling, snot work, and all around execution. I understand the story behind the whole covering-less fuselage, but you have to wonder what it looks like with the coverings... Nice job.
Go Y-Wing! This is an amazing setmod. in the shots where there was no flash, i at first thought it was a screenshot from a videogame or part of the movie. The Y-wing has always been my favorite starwars (rebel) fighter/bomber as well.