The Ma & Pa built these cars in the late 1920s using parts from previous cars. These wooden truss rod cars served the railroad for many years with a few lasting into the early 60’s long after other railroads would have scraped them for more modern equipment. Cars #713 and #723 are now preserved at the Strasburg Railroad and car #727 is preserved by the Williams Grove Historical Steam Engine Association. Car #729 is the lone box car in Jim Gallagher’s famous November 10, 1955 photo of one of the Ma & Pa’s last steam powered freight trains.
About this creation
All four cars gathered together for a group photo.
Car #723 along with her sister #713 are now at the Strasburg RR in Stasburg, PA
Car #727 is preserved by the Williams Grove Historical Steam Engine Association in Mechanicsburg, PA.
The 700 series cars used truss rod style construction.
Car #727 sits in IndyLUG's rail yard at Brickworld 2008