Ironhide . My transforming Lego transformer version of Ironhide from the Transformers movie. . Up to this point, all my Transformers have been made up. They were never easy, but I wanted to notch up the challenge level a bit and tackle some "real" movie Transformers, beginning with Ironhide. What follows is the result of some 35 hours of building.
You won't see guns in truck mode. They do not work with the transformation. They can sit in the truck bed. I could have attached them to his arms under the doors, like the toy version, but I thought that would look cheesy.
The tires "resize" in robot mode. I remove the outer tire to make them fit into this chest and behind his body. It's a tight squeeze in there. Let me tell you - making a movie-accurate Transformer is tough - the biggest challenge is scale, and that's hard to do right.
I built one half of Ironhide first. It's the first time I've ever done that. Usually, my Transformers are smaller, so I need to be careful about overlapping the midline. But, with Ironhide, it made more sense to get everything right, then build the other side. This picture is about halfway through time-wise, but probably not quite halfway there work-wise.
I believe I started Ironhide in late June. The Mob Rules contest made for about 3 weeks of no Transformer-time, so I would call this a 5 week project, with a lot of extra thinking time over the 8 actual weeks.
Ah, the dangers of building with Lego. It's a good thing the photo session was pretty much done. I fixed the hood with 1x2x3 slopes this week, but I have not taken new pictures of him yet.
Thanks to Matt, who helped me make the headlight labels. Also, thanks as always to my helpful, supportive, and loving wife. And last of all, happy birthday to me!