Older incident in downtown Ticlaw . . As I was going through my pictures, I discovered several folders with some older incidents in the city. Thought I would share some of them with everyone. Hope you enjoy seeing this pictures.
This incident I remember all too well. I shocked myself that I would allow a major structure fire in one of my oldest buildings. The Murphy's Building was my third three story building I built sometime back in 1988 (give or take a year). The Murphy's Building was actually two connecting buildings that the G. C. Murphy's 5 & 10 variety store operated from.
A brief of the buildings, The Hunington Building was a 4 story building constructed in 1897. It was a hardware store before Murphy's moved into the location in 1922. In 1985, the upper two floors were consumed by a fire and removed. The adjacent building, the Marshall Building was a 3 story building constructed in 1898. In 1924, Murphy's acquired this building and remodeled the first floor of both buildings into one of the largest 5 & 10 stores in Ticlaw. They operated from this location until 2000 when the store closed. Town & Country Realtors purchased the buildings and remodeled the Hunington Building for their location. The Marshal Building was left untouched and immediately occupied by Grandfather's Gooseberry Garden, a floral and gift shop.
In November of 2002, workers were rewiring the upper floors when something sparked and caught fire. The following are excerpts from Madison County Dispatch (MCD), city fire crews, and reports from the Ticlaw Tattler newspaper. These photos were taken by a inexpensive digital camera, and are not of the quality of present day digital photos. I used incense to create the smoke, and craft paper to simulate the water.
MCD - Attention companies 10 and 260 ladder respond to 518 Grant Avenue for possible structure fire. Time now 14:23.
MCD - Attention companies 10 and 260 ladder respond to 518 Grant Avenue for possible structure fire. Time now 14:25.
MCD - Able 6 & 8, respond to 400 block of Grant Avenue assist fire departments for traffic control. Time now 14:26.
Company 10 engine en route.
MCD - Time now 14:29
MCD -Attention company 260. 260 ladder respond to 518 Grant Avenue for possible structure fire. Time now 14:30.
Ladder 260 en route.
MCD - Time now 14:33
Company 10 on scene.
MCD - Time now 14:35
Upon arrival, firemen from Company 10 saw smoke rising from the building, and immediately saw fire escape from the windows of the third story. Company 10 radioed MCD of a working structure fire and called for immediate support. Company 260 (Shamrock Hook & Ladder) station was only 2 blocks away and was on scene in 2 minutes. They quickly prepared their aerial ladder. Within moments of the dispatch for additional units, fire broke through the second story windows.
MCD - Attention Company 10. Company 10, addition support requested for working structure fire. Attention Company 40. Company 40 respond to working structure fire, 400 block Grant Ave. Company 160, respond to station for possible assistance, working structure fire. Time now 14:41.
MCD - Attention Company 10. Company 10, addition support requested for working structure fire. Attention Company 40. Company 40 respond to working structure fire, 400 block Grant Ave. Company 160, respond to station for possible assistance, working structure fire. Time now 14:43.
Company 10 additional engine and utility en route.
MCD - Time now 14:43
Company 40 en route.
MCD - Time now 14:43
Company 160 standing by in station.
MCD - Time now 14:45
Company 10 on scene
MCD - Time now 14:46
Company 40 on scene
MCD - Time now 14:50
Command Company 260 to MCD. Requesting 160's aerial to scene and to approach from the North.
MCD - Company 160, 160 please respond to structure fire, requested from 260 on scene. Be advised, 260 requesting to approach scene from the North. Time now 14:51.
Company 160 en route.
MCD - Time now 14:51.
160 on scene.
MCD - Time now 14:54
By this time, four streams of water were being poured into the building from 260's ladder truck and two ground crews. As minifigs from 160's aerial were in place, fire broke through the roof of the building and immediately spread to the roof of the Realtor's offices. A minifig from the realtors office announced that there was another minifig trapped on the second floor of the building. Crews from Company 10 worked to make there way to rescue the minifig. Command from company 10 & 260 requested for additional engines from 260's station and 300's to respond to the seen. Company 300 was to respond to the 300 block of Grant and supply additional water, while company 260 was requested to intersection of the 400 block of Grant Ave, and Hancock Street and assist 160 ladder.
Company 260's engine arrived on scene at the requested location and sent minifigs to the roof of the Cambell building, located next to the Realtor's office. This 3 story building's roof offered a nice advantage over the roof of the buildings on fire. Crews immediately were able to supply additional water onto the fire. In all, 8 fire apparatus were called on the scene, while three others from various stations in town were put on standby. Crews from station 10 made several unsuccessful attempts to manage the stairs to the upper floor to rescue the trapped minifig, due to the intensity of the fire and falling debris from the roof.
After nearly and hour and a half, firemen were able to bring the fire under control in the Marshal building, but the building was a total loss. Damage from the fire caused the roof to collapse into the building, damaging the uppers floors. The fire and water damaged all the floors and merchandise and belongings in the building.
As the few remaining 'hot spots' were extinguished by company 10 and 40, crew from other companies were released from the scene. Crews from company 40's first engine on scene remained to monitor the scene, while the fire marshal investigated and insurance companies arrived to access the damage to the respective parties involved. Madison County Dispatched reported the last crew back in station at 18:39.
Crowds had gathered throughout the incident and were controlled by City Police and County Sheriff's deputies. Crew members from company 300 also assisted with traffic control.
The fire marshall discovered that while hanging dry wall on the third floor, a nail punctured some old wiring which caused sparks to ignite the older wood within the wall. Several days later, construction crews arrived to remove the debris and begin dismantling the remains of the Marshall Building. The Ticlaw Tattler reported that Town and Country Realty had temporarily moved into the Books and More store, while Grandfather's Gooseberry Garden owner had acquired a vacant store front in the Grantz Building down the street. Plans for the owner of Grandfather's Gooseberry Garden were to rebuild and restock her inventory quickly as not to interrupt business.