Microscale Floating Island . A microscale floating island with airship! . This is my entry for The Contest Group's Two-Week Microscale Contest. It is well within the 16x16 limit. The baseplate minus the airship is 10x10 (with 1 stud of overhang for the roots).
Comments are below their respective pictures.
The cover photo. I was inspired by Castle in the Sky, a 1986 Studio Ghibli anime film depicting Laputa (dubbed into English by Disney with the voice talents of Mark Hamill, Anna Paquin, James Van Der Beek, and Jim Cummings). I am also reading Jonathan Swift's Gulliver's Travels, the inspiration for the aforementioned film, for an AP Lit class, so I have been figuratively surrounded by floating islands for a while. I have been sitting on the idea for a microscale floating island for a while, and when I saw this contest, I knew what I was going to do immediately.
The roots. I got these pieces with 79001-1 Escape From Mirkwood Spiders. They were clamoring to be used. I saw a similar "roots hanging down" technique in the 2012 MOCOlympics used by Max Pointner in his beautiful Round 2 entry.
A side view.
Ah. One of my favorite shots focusing on the airship.
The airship itself. This was one of those afterthoughts that, honestly, makes the entire build a ton better. I saw that I had a trans-clear Trans-Clear Bar 1 x 8 with Brick 1 x 2 Curved Top End (Axle Holder Inside Small End) and I wanted to use it to make a bird or a dragon flying next to the island. I probably went through five or six microscale beasts, but none of them really stood out. While rooting through my minifig accessory box (which holds a lot more than minifig accessories, I can tell you that much. It's more like my "Hey, that's a cool piece" box) I came across the basket of Series 9's Little Red Riding Hood. Perfect. I immediately thought of a hot air balloon. Unfortunately, all the pieces I wanted to use were a wee bit small for the size of the basket. I do believe that black blur is my arm holding up the lamp used to light the scene on my living room floor. My dad was taking the picture.
So I went for something a little unconventional. I couldn't get a good way to attach the balloon to the basket. As you can see, I used a red notched technic axle to connect the two parts of the airship. As a result of the SNOT-y connection, there are still those four holes that usually let studs through that are empty. So I stuck the clips through those holes. Like I said, unconventional. But it certainly worked!
Without the airship.
A simple artistic shot showing the tree and roots.
The stone fixture. This was another last minute addition. At first I just had the tree, but the rest of the surface seemed empty. I went for a simple, enigmatic tomb. It had started as an elaborate Stonehenge-esque design, but I abandoned that for this simple tomb. It works well.
My parting shot. I must say I am very happy with how the grey/bley mixture in the rocks turned out. I tried to space out the bley/grey pretty evenly so there weren't any clumps. It looks more natural this way. You can also see the stand I used. A simple trans-clear antenna with two 3x3 trans-clear radar dishes attached to it.
Thanks for viewing! Good luck to the other contestants! Don't forget to rate it and leave a comment.